Monday, November 3, 2008

Tizio Lamp : Building

cut view of executive designers office.
view of modern building where executive designer works.


I work for Dwell magazine and I am the executive designer. I get to look out my window to see the city skyline. I have worked here seven years to get this big office with a window and view. I am honored to work for a design company that is up to date with the latest cutting edge designs, and a firm that allows me to incorporate some of my own work as well.

As with any other design company late hours, hard work, and lots of coffee are a must. As the hours pass by my brightly lit office during the day, soon turns dark. It makes it difficult to sketch, read and even concentrate when the only option of lighting in my space is a dim lamp or the overhead flourescent lights, which normally give me a headache. “I wish I had more choice and control of the lighting in here, it would probably make my life a lot easier.” Then it hit me, I could design a lamp for my office! I could be the one to choose the materials, the wattage, etc. I grabbed my pencil and sketchbook and began to brainstorm. I knew I wanted something that was very easily adjustable to wherever I wanted the light. Something that was also cutting edge.

I chose the Tizio lamp for my office space because of its adjustable form and intense light source. Rather than squint through the pain of halogen bulbs and wish that I had light conducted to the exact project that I'm working on, I could use the Tizio lamp to do the work for me. Time and time again, I wished that I could find a lamp that did just as the Tizio lamp did with its novelle design. Rather than crowd my desk with excess wires from electrical engineering, the Tizio lamp contains all of its wiring inside it's skeletal structure, and within the base, leaving only a small cord to plug in at the base. With it's adjustable head, I could refocus the lamp on any are that I was working on, and highlight something that originally I hadn't been focusing on.

Some have suggested that I could use a Lava Lamp for a light source within my office. In a close comparison, both lamps are inventive for their times. The lava lamp, with its liquid/solid particulate matter, and groovy coloring also has little setup and takes up not much space on my desk. However, it's color and efficiency would not prove conducive to my work load, as not enough light would be given off.

To contrast with a pair of 19th Century candlesticks, the obvious source of light would be that of fire. Fire, as you know in any public setting, particularly an office, would not be appropriate at all. In addition to keeping my office low-light, the fire hazard alone makes the candlesticks antiquated and insufficient for the space.





No comments: