Sunday, November 2, 2008

The Nichols House Museum in Boston Mass.

The day was here.  I was finally able to get away from school and take that vacation that I had been looking forward to.  As I stepped onto the plane I looked back, taking one last glance at the surrounding that I knew so well, and wouldn't see for a whole week!  When I arrive in Boston, I am welcomed by an older, but very energetic woman, my grandma.  On the drive to her house all I could do was gaze out of the window at the beautifully historic buildings that make up the city.  Not really knowing where we were going, she said that she had a special place that she wanted to take me.  We parked on Mount Vernon St. and approached and old brownstone building called the Nichols House Museum.  We arrived just as the tour was beginning and I immediately was engaged in everything the tour guide had to say.  The guide explained that he had lived in Boston his whole life and enjoys talking about the history of this 1804 townhouse.  As we walk through the house, I forget that it is now a museum.  The guide informs us that the house is filled with priceless possession, collected from both America and Europe from the 17th-19th centuries.  When on the second floor, we entered a formal living room.  In this room I noticed a small candle stand, and for some reason I was intrigued.  It was simple, but beautifully crafted and it was in fact, the center of the room.  When the tour came to an end, I honestly didn't want to leave.  It was so crazy to think that I would have just walked right by this historic building id it wasn't for my grandmother. 

Compared to the Modern Museum of Art in New York, the Nichols House Museum is different in lots of ways.  The most obvious difference is that one of the museums is somewhat hidden within a neighborhood, and the other is set apart from the other buildings in the city.  The contrasting aesthetics of the two buildings are quite obvious as well.   The MOMA is a very modern building with clean lines, and use glass and concrete as the two main building materials.  The NHM is a well preserved building from the 17th century made of brownstone bricks and windows that are covered by wooden shutters.  

No comments: