Sunday, October 12, 2008
Candelabrum in its Space
The Nichols House located in Boston, Massachusetts is the current home of the Candelabrum. It houses not only the world known candelabrum, but many other priceless possessions that have been accumulated through several generations of Europe, America and even Asian influence. The town house was constructed in 1804 and it was originally built for Charles Bulfinch the architect that helped design the Massachusetts State House. The house is now home to a public historic museum.
The designer is unknown, but perceived to be of English or French origin and the structure was completed in the early 19th century. The lamp was initially created to generate light as well as serve as a somewhat decorative piece. With the invention of electrical lighting the candelabrum was looked at as less of a source of lighting, but more of a supply for ornamentation. This piece incorporated well with the overall early 1800’s influenced ambience of the house.
Miss Rose Nichols was the person who is claimed to have passed down this amazing piece of artwork to it’s current location in the Boston Nichols House. She was very involved in the women’s right protest and went against the grain for that period of time and was heavily involved in supporting herself through landscape gardening and later on needlework and woodworking, which was displayed throughout the house.
The candelabrum now sits in a habitat that holds a great deal of historic relevance. Even though it’s purpose has changed throughout the years it is ultimately still looked at as an astonishing piece of artwork now placed in a location for many to enjoy.