Sunday, November 2, 2008

Changing Perspectives

West Mt. Vernon Street Nichols House is on the Furthest Left Side

The Candelabrum is located on the second floor on a side table providing not only light, but a decorative element to the room.

I walk onto Mt. Vernon Street located in Boston, Massachusetts feeling comforted by the upscale, mostly crime free neighborhood. As I inspect people walking on the street they are characterized with an upper middle class persona. They mostly do not smile while passing and continue to be committed to their prior appointments by avoiding eye contact and casual conversation, but this does not discourage my excitement to explore the Nichols House Museum. Coming from a suburban raised upper middle class household I feel comfortable relating to people on the street, but a little shy with my sense of direction in a city that I have visited only once. All the streets in this neighborhood look very similar with their red brick and symmetrical appearances. Finally reaching my destination I look upon this 1804 brownstone town home and there is an overcoming feeling of patriotism and honor of my country and the amazing things we have created. When entering the museum I am overcome with the feeling that I am in a home setting more than a typical museum. I take notice of the front walkway, very casual almost too casual as you enter such a famous house. I gaze at the floor length mirror in the hallway making sure I appear presentable to meet my potential new boss. The artwork in the hallway seems extremely appropriate to the time period and the colonial style the house portrays. Venturing on to the second floor I am bombarded with the sophisticated arrangement of the living room. It is very suitable for the family that lived in this home and the entertaining purposes they used it for as well. I look at the Queen Anne Styled Clock and notice I have ten minutes to spare, so I take the extra couple minutes to journey upstairs and explore one of the many bedrooms that are of access in the house. My mind figures to a Chippendale style tall chest of drawers that was most likely developed from an English base. I ponder the question if it was produced here in America or overseas as I wait to be called in for my interview.

Comparing the Nichols House Museum to another structures during this assignment the White House could go either way. It is similar in the aspect that they are both designed off of a classic architectural movement. The White House being developed off of the Grecian or Roman Revival and the Nichols Home is based off of the Colonial era. They also stand similar in the act of symmetry.

When contrasting these two buildings they are completely different in not only materials, but sense of ambiance. Since the Nichols House Museum was once a home it still has many domestic characteristics, but it is now a museum so it therefore adds a slightly more formal, unlivable element to the space. Where as the White House was and still is a home and the tour was added in afterwards. Even though the White House is still accessed by the public, it is highly secured and only certain areas on special occasions are allowed to be toured allowing the home to seem more comfortable for the family living in it.

No comments: