Saturday, February 19, 2011

Unique Looking Churches in the World

I find it interesting what comes up when you type in a phrase or some keywords in Google.  In my case, I typed in 'unique church' and came upon some interesting images.  A couple of them I found under the same webpage (10 Most Unique Churches).  However, there are two that I believe strongly illustrate verticality.

Hallgrímskirkja, a Lutheran parish church located in Reykjavík, Iceland, not only demonstrates verticality but the shape also guides your eye to its center which leads your eye up to the heavens.  Another church is the Catedral Metropolitana Nossa Senhora Aparecida in Brazil and the look, although different, has the same intention that guides your eye up towards.

Hallgrímskirkja in Iceland designed by Guðjón Samúelsson

Cathedral of Brasília designed by Oscar Niemeyer

No comments: